It’s no wonder that quality sleep is sometimes elusive. Many people have trouble getting quality sleep at night which can affect their health, well-being and also hinder their ability to carry out day-to-day tasks. It is estimated that an adult should get at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night. A person is said to be sleep deprived when he or she gets less than the needed amount of sleep.
Let’s see what are the causes of lack of sleep and how can it be cured.
Causes of Sleep Deprivation
Different factors can contribute to sleep deprivation such as unstable sleep patterns, work obligations, lifestyle, sleep disorders and other medical conditions as well. However, lack of sleep is often associated with voluntary choices that reduce the sleep time of a person. For example; binge-watching a tv show and compromising on sleep is a voluntary choice that you make.
Deadlines at work can also play a major role in sleep deprivation. People who have night shifts or may have multiple jobs might not get time to sleep or enjoy a quality sleep.
Even environmental factors can be responsible for your lack of sleep. Too much noise or not the right temperature can disrupt your sleep.
Using electronic gadgets right before you sleep is the biggest contributor to sleep problems. People get so caught up in their tabs and mobile phones that they end up sleeping late.
Sleep disorders or any other underlying medical condition can hinder the sleep schedule of a person. Stress or certain kinds of anxiety can keep you awake the entire night and can interfere with the quality and quantity of your sleep.
Prevention techniques for a better sleep
In most of the cases, focusing on sleep environment, sleep pattern and daily habits is a central factor in preventing and treating sleep deprivation. You can definitely follow the below mentioned techniques to have a better quality of sleep:
- Don’t accept lack of sleep, try to address it as a concern. It is not normal to not be able to sleep for at least 6-7 hours at night. Take necessary steps such as cutting down on caffeine or just read a book before you go to bed to avoid any use of gadgets.
- Make sleep your utmost priority. It is very important to give your body the adequate rest it needs. This means you should go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Stability in sleep schedule is the key. Make sure to have a bedtime routine and you follow it religiously even on weekends to avoid any disruptions.
- Customize your bedroom environment in such a way that you get a relaxed sleep and feel cozy while maintaining a moderate temperature.
- Having a healthy and nutritious diet can also help you sleep better. Enrich your body with multivitamin gummies as they are known to have certain nutrients that enhance your sleep.
Certain Tips to have quality sleep
Avoid eating 2-3 hours before you go to bed as it causes the body’s metabolism to slow.
It is important to get regular exercise during the day to increase sleep quality for adults by reducing sleep onset. Make sure you keep all your electronic gadgets away from your sleeping area and turn them off to avoid any kind of distraction. Keep the bedroom dark, quiet and cool for you to have a good night sleep.
Limit the consumption of caffeine, alcohol or tobacco to avoid no to less sleep. Make a habit of reading before you go to bed or while you are trying to sleep. This will help you sleep on time.